Saturday, May 5, 2007

INSIGHT: Life, Pain, and the Accident

The other day I was whining to myself about the pain from my left side. Then I realized something: IT'S BETTER THAN THE ALTERNATIVE! A few years ago, I was hit by a car while walking across a crosswalk. I was lucky. I could have easily died. Maybe I can't use my left side as well as I used to. Maybe the pain from my hip and shoulder is rather excruciating at times. But it's still better than being dead.

You know, just before that car struck me, I heard the engine rev up. In that brief second I was sure I was going to die. That experience changed me. I started to value Life. I had to reevaluate so many different things that I had taken for granted. I also started to value the little moments of time that can be wasted so easily. It's funny. This terrible accident that could have killed me actually made more alive. And while I certainly wish the accident had never happened, it really doesn't do any good to dwell on something that can't be changed.
Anyway, in a really weird way, the constant pain is a constant reminder of the preciousness of life.

No comments: