Tuesday, June 5, 2007

BOOKS: God in Our Relationships by Rabbi Dennis Ross

God in Our Relationships: Spirituality Between People from the Teachings of Martin BuberGod in Our Relationships: Spirituality Between People from the Teachings of Martin Buber by Dennis S. Ross

My rating: 4 of 5 stars




I really enjoyed reading this book. I was totally confused by Martin Buber's I and Thou, but this book helped clear up some of the confusion. I really liked the stuff about relationships.

One of my favorite passages starts on pg. 92:
"Maintaining an I-Thou relationship is an ongoing effort, not a final destination."
(That seems true for most of the Jewish ideas I've been reading about lately!) "It is a process, not a product; a risky way of living but the only honest life............The only security in I-Thou is in continually accepting the insecurity, making peace with the risk."

The idea that struck me most from reading this book was that I am much more comfortable with an I-It relationship than with an I-Thou one. Anyway, there were a lot of great ideas in this book about relationships and dealing with the Real World that just made a lot of sense. I'm going to have to give some of this stuff a lot more thought. 




View all my reviews

No comments: