Monday, June 20, 2011

BOOKS: Finding Ben by Barbara Lasalle

Finding Ben : A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger'sFinding Ben : A Mother's Journey Through the Maze of Asperger's by Barbara LaSalle

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This book was an incredibly honest portrayal of the author's feelings. I can definitely relate to the frustration and disappointment involved with raising a child/adolescent with undiagnosed Asperger's.  It seems like your entire life revolves around the questions:  "What is wrong with my child?" and "What can I do to fix it?". It is even harder when others wonder, sometimes accusingly, why your child acts so different sometimes.

Anyway, the book was very well-written and very honest.  I admire the fact that the author was willing to publish the reality of her shame and disgust.   It's easy to be critical of that.  My daughter was higher functioning and we had an incredible amount of support from various family members and our synagogue.  This really was about her search and desperation to love and appreciate the beauty in her son.   And that was very touching and beautiful.  

I most enjoyed her writing about her visits with Jack and their conversation about the beauty and poetry of people on the out.  That section alone would make this book well worth reading.  



View all my reviews

No comments: