Wednesday, December 8, 2010

BOOKS: The Way Home by George Pelecanos

The Way HomeThe Way Home by George P. Pelecanos

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


I was torn on how to rate this book.   I gave it a 2 for the depressing storyline.  I like books that have an inner sense of hope in them.   But it also deserved a 5 for the thought-provoking ideas.  It was an odd story with an interesting perspective on the juvenile prison system.   It reminded me of some stuff I'd read in Foucault's "Discipline and Punish".  I really should read that again.   Anyway, it really does make one wonder about the effectiveness of our current prison system.  But, while it's easy to think "That seems so cruel---we should make the system better", it's not that easy to come up with a workable solution.  Something needs to be done about it, but what?   It's really quite disturbing to think about. 



View all my reviews

No comments: