My rating: 5 of 5 stars
This excellent series, by Caroline Roe, is about a blind Jewish physician in medieval Spain. They are presented as mysteries, but as one Amazon.com reviewer mentioned, they are really more like historical novels than mysteries. I have enjoyed all of her books so far.
ABOUT THE SERIES:
Favorite Part: The historical details about Jewish family life in 14th-century Spain.
Most Disappointing Part: I wish there was more of an emphasis on Isaac's ethnic background
Something New That I Learned: I didn't realize that during medieval times that Christian holidays were especially dangerous for Jewish families. The religious fervor of the holidays would actually incite riots against Jewish people.
The books are pretty cool to read. Of course, since I have grown up in contemporary America, it is difficult for me to understand how Christian holidays could have possible incited people to riot and kill others. The holidays today seem to be so focused on peace and love. I am grateful for the growing levels of religious tolerance in this country and that the rights of all of our people are protected by law. I guess it really is a blessing to live in a time and place where some of the evils of the past seem so impossible to understand!
View all my reviews
2 comments:
Hi...I appreciate your comments on my blog. I notice you also live in Park City. Always happy to talk further.
That would be fun........Thanks :)
Post a Comment