"Maybe the Bible didn't raise the issue of eternal life because it realized that the moment the next world becomes the central issue in religion, it takes people's minds away from the real business of repairing this one."
-Joseph Telushkin, THE FINAL ANALYSIS OF DR. STARK pg. 104
This quote struck me because it was so different from the way I had been trained to think...........and because it made a lot of sense. I used to focus a lot on the afterlife. It seemed like I was just passing through this life to get to my goal of heaven. Anyway, even though the quote (and the idea behind it) made a lot of sense, it felt so weird to think about the present life in a totally different way. But, the more I thought about the idea, the more I liked it. The whole idea about repairing the world really changed the way I look at my relationships with other people, my relationship with God, and my whole life in general. Anyway, the whole afterlife/current life thing was a huge issue for me and it's hard to believe how much the change in my perspective on that alone has affected so much of the rest of my daily life.
No comments:
Post a Comment