Saturday, July 21, 2007

CHECK IT OUT! Legally Blonde and Spiritually Buber

I just read a really cool review (by Elisa Albert)!

http://www.jewcy.com/feature/2007-05-17/legally_blonde_and_spiritually_buber


I loved this article. Why?

  • I read Buber's I and Thou and was TOTALLY confused by it.
  • I liked the Legally Blonde movies. Sure--they were unrealistic and a bit goofy--but they were still fun to watch.
  • The review was interesting, original, funny, and quite insightful.
Some cool quotes:
  • "Buber's concept of the I/Thou relationship "stresses mutual, holistic existence without qualification or objectification of the other." In simplist terms, this means being a really nice person, giving others the benefit of the doubt, and treating people like the complicated, meaningful beings they invariably are. It means being Elle-like."
  • "Giving people what you think they want (based on your classifications of them) is to reduce them to "it". Being fully yourself and offering your full self to unclassifiable others: totally "thou"."
  • "At Harvard, Elle faces the specter of yet more I/it. She's mocked and reviled at every turn........Her classmates preen and posture, fulfilling their own odious stereotypes.......But, our Elle guilelessly refuses to reduce her peers to their obvious categorizations (the "it" of them), and relate to them as such. She relates to them firmly in her own self, open to them all, wearing her signature pink..........resolutely unaware of the raging "it" to which she herself is constantly being reduced."
  • "Elle Woods ultimately triumphs personally and professionally because she never stops looking at the world through her own eyes, with her own humanity intact, so that what's reflected back at her is yet more actual humanity."

No comments: