I read a poem: Like the Inner Wall of a House by Yehuda Amichai
The first stanza caught me:
The first stanza caught me:
"I found myself
Suddenly, and too early in life,
Like the inner wall of a house
Which has become an outside wall after wars and devastations.
I almost forget
How it is to be inside. No pain anymore,
No love. Near and far
Are both at the same distance from me
And equal."
Suddenly, and too early in life,
Like the inner wall of a house
Which has become an outside wall after wars and devastations.
I almost forget
How it is to be inside. No pain anymore,
No love. Near and far
Are both at the same distance from me
And equal."
That’s a very striking image that I can relate to. I think anyone who has been hurt badly as a child feels damaged, exposed, and numb. Very numb. And with so little remaining of what used to be.
This is so backwards from how I used to picture this. Before this poem, my own images personal images were different. One involved a pretty room with the window and door bricked over with heavy stone. Another image included a house with burned out, empty rooms but a normal, average-looking exterior. But, an exposed inner wall of a house? This is a new perspective. Yes, I definitely could explore this poem more!
No comments:
Post a Comment